Northbound Interstate 5 will see occasional night closures between the Fremont and Marquam bridges from Friday Jan. 3 to Monday Jan. 6 while crews inspect the 87-year-old Burnside Bridge.
The closures are needed for an inspection of the east approach to the bridge, which passes above Interstate 5. The section of the bridge that passes over the I-5 southbound lanes was inspected in December.
The inspection will assess the structure’s condition and identify short and long term repairs. The span has an unusual feature in that the steel beams that support the bridge were encased with concrete when the bridge was built. Today, nearly nine decades later, the concrete coating is deteriorating in areas where moisture gathers and small chunks have fallen off.
As part of the inspection, maintenance crews will remove loose concrete. Freeway lanes below the bridge need to be closed during the inspection to ensure the safety of travelers.
Crews will install vertical nets to protect adjacent lanes from falling concrete during the inspection. Horizontal nets will be added under the bridge to protect freeway traffic in coming years, until a major repair project is completed.
Closures, weather permitting, are:
All lanes of I-5 northbound closed and one southbound lane of I-5 closed between the Fremont and Marquam bridges:
• From 10:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 3 to 7:30 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 4.
• From 11 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 4 to 7:30 a.m. Sunday, Jan. 5.
• From 10:30 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 5 to 5 a.m. Monday, Jan. 6, if needed.
When I-5 north is fully closed, the following ramps will also be closed:
• The ramp from Southwest 5th Avenue to southbound I-405.
• The northbound OR43 ramp to northbound I-5.
• The ramp from the Morrison Bridge to northbound I-5.
• The ramp from southbound -405 to I-5 northbound will be closed but open to eastbound I-84.
• I-5 northbound exit 300 to I-84 eastbound will be closed although southbound I-405 to northbound I-5 leading to eastbound I-84 will remain open.
Signs will direct drivers to detours that will help get around the closures. Motorists should allow more travel time due to the detours. Interstate 405 will remain an easy way around the closures without leaving the freeway.
The work will have no impact on Burnside Bridge traffic.