Portland Local News

 

Residents escape fire in North Portland

Residents escape fire in North Portland

Residents barely escaped a house fire Wednesday morning in North Portland.  The house is located on Gay Avenue at North Rosa Parks Way.

Residents were asleep when the fire started. A woman awoke to crackling sounds. She thought it was her cat playing with a bottle, but it was the sound of the fire. The smoke detectors didn't sound, because the batteries were dead.

She got the two other residents in the house outside.

The engine supply water to crews inside of the house had to shut down when when fire burned through power lines and they fell on the truck.  Firefighters could have been electrocuted.  

It took firefighters about 30 minutes to put out the fire.

Two residents were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.  A firefighter was hospitalized with a leg injury.  A cat died in the fire.

Investigators are working to determine how the fire started.

 

More Articles